Wednesday, February 16, 2011

The Clockwork Orange- Anthony Burgess

I cheated a bit on this one, reading the first half of the book, and sparknoting the rest of it. It has a very interesting story to it, and after reading the shortened version, I don't totally hate it. I do, however, have no desire to see the movie, because I think it will be very gruesome, but I have to for my class.

The story brings up some very interesting points, and in the last bit brings up a very good thought: "youth will always have to suffer its own mistakes". The main character, Alex, realizes that, as he thinks about having a family and children, that no matter how much he tries to teach his children, they're going to have to learn on their own, and make their own mistakes. I like that.

I'm writing this part a couple weeks after I watched the movie and I just have to say that I enjoyed the movie in some ways. It wasn't nearly as gruesome as I thought it would be. I can't say I'd recommend it for everyone, but at least listen to the soundtrack. That's what I enjoyed the most. And, Malcolm McDowell does an excellent job of portraying Alex, the main character.

No comments:

Post a Comment