Sunday, July 24, 2011

The Hunger Games Trilogy- Suzanne Collins

I'm really hoping the movie that comes out does the book justice, because I thought the whole series was amazing. I read them quite fast (they are YA). I love when a book can captivate me that much.

The story is based around a 16 year-old girl who unknowingly starts an uprising in her country. The country of Panem hosts the Hunger Games every year to show their citizens that the government is not to be messed with. The Hunger Games consists of two young children, one boy and one girl ages 12-18 from each district (there are 12 districts) fighting til the death on national television in an arena filled with my different landscapes and danger factors. The children are picked by drawing names.

The first book is completely based on the Hunger Games themselves, but the next two are what happens after. These books are a lot blood and gore at times, but I think it helps to portray the message that that's the way war can be. They also get a little darker as the series goes on, but nothing that I don't think YA readers or older can't handle.

There are probably a lot of underlying messages that could be taken from this book, but I didn't really see them. I took the book for the story it was, and I loved it. It's action, adventure and romance all in one. It literally made me laugh at times, and at other times, it made me want to cry. If you need a good series to get into and don't want to wait for the next book to be written (the series is done), then I would definitely pick these books up.

No comments:

Post a Comment